Monday, May 21, 2012

Don't Promote To Promote part 2

Good morning and Happy Monday once again!
Last week we talked about social marketing and being overwhelmed. I want to continue with that and look at online and offline marketing, but I don't like to refer to it as social marketing. That word "social" for marketing bugs me. So I looked up the definition and this is what I found;

social [soh-shuhl]   
adjective
1.pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
2.seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
3.of, pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society: a social event.
4.living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation: People are social beings.
5.of or pertaining to human society, especially as a body divided into classes according to status: social rank.

As for me, right now I'm going to keep up with my blogs, twitter (you can tweet me at @K_Einsel ) and  facebook  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Different-Corners/282985538382248
(With all the changes on fb, if you really want my attention, you have to tag me or send me a PM, or post on my wall, otherwise I have no idea people are talking to me :-) and I hear the changes are going to get worse.)
I would  like to get more involved with Goodreads and Women's Literary Cafe, which I'm a member of both, over the next few months. As for LinkedIn and Google+ I'm going to leave them in limbo for now. Yes, I want my books to sell, but I want more of a personal touch when it comes to SOCIAL media.
I also want to help others succeed, so I am looking into creating a blog where other authors/writers can advertise their books for free, but it's still in the initial stages right now, but I will keep you updated on that.

Here are a few links if you would like to look into what others are saying about social media and marketing and how they are coping and what they are doing. 
http://joelcomm.com/the-great-social-media-experim.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JoelComm_com+%28JoelComm.com%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

http://redpenofdoom.com/2012/05/16/build-your-own-writing-monster/

http://iwisecoach.com/2012/01/dealing-overwhelm-when-building-your-author-platform/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dealing-overwhelm-when-building-your-author-platform

http://antheajane.blogspot.com/2012/05/to-do-list-for-promoting-your-indie.html

http://piperbayard.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/enlarging-our-twitter-audience-guest-post-by-professional-network-builder-lonny-dunn/

So what are you doing to not promote, to promote? :-)

Okay, last but not least, Offline promoting! Everyone talks about book signings to promote your book, but how do you get people there? How does anyone in your town even know who you are? Besides family and friends that is. I live in a city of apprx. 250,000 people and I'd bet no more than 10 even know I have 2 books available on Amazon.

What I want you to do, is think about how you would promote yourself in your city and then next week we can swap  ideas on how to get the word out where we live. I mean no one wants to have a book signing and have no one come, right?
Oops! Just found another blog! Oh me!
http://janefriedman.com/2012/05/18/4-ways-to-immediately-improve-your-book-marketing-efforts/


Have a great week everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. I'd love to hear your viewpoint