Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Book Review for "Near Death"

This is my first book review, so bear with me and let's see if I can do justice to
                                "Near Death" By Richard C Hale.

First off, I am a big fan of Stephen King and rarely do I read books by other authors, but I had read a portion of the first chapter of "Near Death" in November on Richard's blog, and it made me cry, so I put it on my Christmas wish list and my oldest son bought it for me.

"Near Death" Is about Jake, who loses his wife in an accident and he goes on to develop a special technology to record other's near death experiences. (That's the only thing I am going to tell you about the plot.)


I did find two small parts in the beginning that I'll call hiccups. One was where he introduced Frank and the other was the part about the plane and the war. I would have put at the beginning of the plane part, "In the meantime, in a desert somewhere in Afghanistan" But that's just my opinion.

I also found myself agreeing with Teri about Maddy (Both characters in the book) That I didn't like Maddy, but I am guessing that's a jealous female thing. :-))

Richard didn't give a physical description to all of his characters, which I liked, because it let's the reader use their imagination as to how they see them. Sometimes less is more when writing.

Overall I give "Near Death" five stars!
I found the book quite enjoyable. It pulled me in and hooked me to the point that I didn't want to put it down.
I look forward to reading more books by Richard. Watch out Stephen King you have competition.
Oh! And as a new writer myself, I read a lot of help blogs and one thing they tell you is proofread...
There is one typographical error on page 97, but if you want to know what it is, you'll have to buy the book, because I'm not telling!

If you want to buy "Near Death" You can find it here...
 http://www.amazon.com/Near-Death-Richard-C-Hale/dp/098477890X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325022667&sr=8-1
and here for your nook
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/near-death-richard-c-hale/1107395403?ean=2940032835486&itm=1&usri=near+death+by+richard+c+hale

You can also follow Richard on twitter Richard_C_Hale
And find him on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Richard-C-Hale/165798456830067

Now quit reading my review and go out and buy his book!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Karen, for the kind words and great feedback on my novel. It means a lot to me that you took the time to write this up. I'm honored! You're awesome!

    Rich Hale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich! No thanks needed I really did enjoy reading the book. I wish you much success in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Karen! And as for a typo error - you find those in NY Times Bestsellers. Very pleased it didn't affect your rating of Richard's book.

    Richard, I too, read a sample online - hooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn
    I wasn't picking on Richard, I was just trying to pique others interest in going out and purchasing the book. Believe me I have to go through mine with a fine tooth comb because every time I write "His" it seems I almost always leave off the "S" and it turns out to be "Hi" And this is one thing spell checker doesn't catch!
    I really did enjoy reading Near Death. If this is his first novel, He did a great job, writing it!
    Be prepared, I plan on reading, "Eleven" this weekend. :-))
    I hope you are having a great day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for checking out the sample Carolyn! And Karen, I always type 'form' instead of 'from.' Drives me nuts! Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The review was definitely short & to the point! And sincere too!
    Hope you have a great New Year, Karen!
    See you in 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. I'd love to hear your viewpoint